Parts of this church were used in the construction of the Holy Redeemer Church in Boroughbridge Road.

Blake Street links Duncombe Place to St Helen's Square and is the home of the York Assembly Rooms built by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington in 1730 in a neo-classical style with Egyptian influence.

St Mary's Church, formerly St Mary's Bishophill Junior has a western tower which is said to be the oldest piece of ecclesiastical architecture in York.

senior dating north yorkshire-81senior dating north yorkshire-26senior dating north yorkshire-65

The historic gateways to the city of York are called 'Bars'.

Aldwark is a street that gets its name from 'Old earthwork' and was so named because the Roman wall that surrounded York ran near here.

A stretch of the wall of St Mary's Abbey runs along the southern side of the street.

At the corner of the wall at the junction of Bootham and Marygate is St Mary's Tower.

On the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the family shared with one other the right to nominate the incumbent of the parish of Thormanby; and probably the family base moved there by the end of the 15th century.

About this time Edmund Cayley had homes at Thormanby and in York.

An Anglo-Saxon cross-shaft can be seen in the church.

There was once also a medieval church called St Mary's Bishophill Senior, a little further south in the street called Bishophill Senior.

It was built as a grand ball room, but Daniel Defoe later described the work as tasteless.

Blossom Street is the southern continuation of Micklegate, outside Micklegate Bar.

Bootham means 'at the booths' and probably refers to booths erected near Bootham Bar, which were used for a weekly market held by the monks of St Mary's Abbey.